Baked beans are so healthy, yummy, easy to make. This property is especially loved by all those who are running against time to go to work, college, to the doctor! Beans are known to be extremely rich in iron, carbohydrates and protein. They are rich in fibre too which helps reduce cholesterol in the body. So if you are vegan beans are a delight for you as this is packed with benefits even though baking to some extent reduces the nutritional value.
But the thing that sticks out is that they have a particular flavour that can get quite boring if consumed repeatedly. We need to find ways to spruce up our favorite beans. How do we do that? Little did we know of the multiple ways to make beans extraordinary by adding sauces or the more simple answer is to just smoke it in a griller like on Solidgoldeats.com.
Smoked baked beans have a different sweet, salty taste with a certain kick that you will grow to love. It is quite versatile too as it can be used as a main dish or even a side with some ham. To make it more filling you can actually mix meat like bacon with the beans itself which makes it a sort of salad.
Prep takes about 30 minutes and grilling with be finished in 2.5 hours each for the baking and the grilling.
Here we tell you some great ways to smoke baked beans on a pellet griller:
Its main components are:
- 2 cups of beans (navy beans, lima beans according to your own liking and tastes)
- 1 onion
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- Half a cup of brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon molasses
- Tomato or BBQ sauce
- Chicken or bacon (to act as an extra ingredient as per your wish)
- Soak the beans in cold water overnight.
- Now, cook the beans in lukewarm water so that they become tender and soft.
- You can cook chicken or bacon at this point or even grill it for that added kick.
- Now that your beans are cooked, drain the water and add the meat into the mix.
- Next, take the onions and sauté it.
- Pour mustard, salt, the brown sugar, molasses, the sauce in a mixing bowl and add the onions.
- Add the meat and beans to the mix.
- Preheat the oven at 350F.
- Place the mix in a casserole or a dish in such a way that the beans sit at the bottom and the onion and meat are at the top.
- Cover the dish with a lid and pop it into the preheated oven.
- Let it stay in the oven for about 3 hours.
- Add some sauce if the beans appear too dry.
- Finally, put the baked beans in a pellet smoker for about 2.5 hours at a temperature of 250F.
- Once done check for the internal temperature of the beans which should be around 150F